Monday, February 16, 2009

Welcome!

Welcome to my little corner of the Web!

I'm Lisa - mom to three wonderful children (a daughter who is nearly 8, and two sons nearly 6 and 3). For the past 8 years I have dedicated my days to caring for my children as a stay-at-home mom. I actually would love for my story to end right there, but like many other families, our family has found it to be increasingly difficult to live off of one income. Therefore, I have worked several part-time jobs over the past few years. In most cases, my husband and I worked opposite schedules so that one of us was always available to care for the children. However, I have always considered myself first and foremost a stay-at-home mommy to my children.

In my early days of motherhood, my parenting practices defined me as person. I felt strongly about many aspects of "Attachment Parenting" and was always proud to label myself as a breastfeeding, babywearing, cloth diapering mommy. I searched out other like-minded moms at La Leche meetings and other natural parenting venues. I was a Mommy - pure and simple.

But then a funny thing happened... my kids started growing up. Of course, I know they have always been growing and maturing, but this year my oldest child entered second-grade and my youngest child potty-trained. I no longer change diapers (well, he still wears one at night) and I am no longer breastfeeding or babywearing. In fact, we recently had to buy a new stroller with a higher weight limit because my soon-to-be-three-year-old is getting too big for his old one!

Then one day, the inevitable happened. I called my 7-year-old daughter to join me downstairs, and she replied "Okay, in a minute Mom!"

Mom?

I'm a Mommy. I have always been Mommy. When did I become Mom?

My children and growing up, and I have learned that I need to grow with them. Will I remain a stay-at-home-mom or return to work? Will my children need to attend day care? Will my growning family be able to remain comfortable in our current home? How will I help my children make the leap from child to preteen?

This is my journey From Mommy to Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment