I never posted my budget findings (it was way too nice of a weekend - we were outside and not on the computer much!).
The main answer is that if we want to continue to keep our standard of living, I need to keep babysitting over the summer. :( Otherwise, it's down to +$5 at the end of the month, and that's cutting it a little too close.
It's frustrating at times. We used to live off of one income with little problem. But we cut our bills as much as possible and truly lived a VERY frugal lifestyle. Over the years, as our income increased, we changed our lifestyle. Some things, like eating out several times a week, bother me very much, and I can't wait until I am not working 6 days a week so that I can cook my family healthy and CHEAPER meals. But things like our $150-cable bill bother me to no end. My husband is a media guy - it's what he does for a living. I saved up money and (finally - in his opinion) bought him a big screen HDTV this winter. Of course, that increased our cable bill substantially. My husband does not go out with "the guys," golf, drink, or anything like that, so I guess I can't really complain too much about his HDTV cable package.
Back to the budget - I kept it realistic, which means I probably over-budgeted for a few things and we would have a little more in our pockets at the end of the month, but it's still tight.
So my first thought was that I really need to keep babysitting. Even the extra $100 a week (although far below what I should get paid for a full 48-hours of care each week) pays for the groceries (and then some!).
But I just can't stop that nagging feeling that I am missing out on time with MY kids, and I really want to see if this will work. The reality is, by the time we get home from our big vacation, there are only 9 weeks of summer left. "K" will likely go on vacation for a week (usually 2) as well - leaving only 7 weeks that I would actually get paid. Is $700 worth not being able to do things with my children?
If I would quit, our budget would be tight. BUT - it's only for 9 weeks. Then I would be back to work int he fall (just on Saturday mornings, but the money is good enough to pay for the groceries) and the budget would not be as tight. So we may have to tap into savings for 2 months. Is that worth it?
Craig and I need to sit down and talk about this in more detail. I am really not sure what the best thing is to do.