Monday, April 6, 2009

Happy Birthday Ryan!

April 7th - Ryan turns 6 today! I really can't believe how quickly the time has passed.

Six years ago today I woke up to see an April snowstorm just starting. I was a a little more than a week away from my due date, but I truly felt that I could not be pregnant for one more day. Craig, little Maddie and I all went to my regular midwife appointment (in the snow!) and discovered that I was a little over 3 cm and 100% effaced - I really wasn't going to be pregnant much longer!

My first birth was a very medical event, and I wanted something very different with my second one. With Madeline, my water broke and contractions began shortly after that. My labor with Ryan was totally different. In fact, I didn't even know I was in labor for most of the day! I remember being on the phone with my sister and mentioning that I could not bend over to pick something off the ground. She made me call my midwife, who said I was most certainly in labor.

We left for the hospital around 3:00 pm and Ryan was born just a few minutes after 7:00 pm. Ryan's birth was such a calm and gentle event. He was born underwater into the hands of our wonderful midwife. I had a rather difficult first birth, so Ryan's beautiful entrance was not only a blessing, but also a way for me to finally heal old wounds.

Ryan is our second miracle. He made Madeline a Big Sister and us very proud parents. He has always been a very high needs child. However, he can be the sweetest boy and getting a smile and hug from him will just make you glow!

Here's Ryan at just one-day old:


And here he is as a 6-year-old kingergardener:


Happy Birthday Ryan!

4 comments:

  1. You are just busy busy over there with birthdays! Happy Birthday to Ryan, I hope he has a great one!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Ryan!!!! Lisa, He was just such a little peanut when I met you. Now he's so big! Congratulations, momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michelle & Nikki! It has been a busy week for us! We have a little break until May 20th.

    Nikki, I know! I kind of feel like it's the end of an era now. He's officially a really BIG kid now! He's finishing kindergarten and will go to full-day school next year. Ryan's birth was the most special one to me just because of how empowering it was to me. Hard to believe it's been 6 years...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, he's adorable! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete